The Darlington Flag Newsletter
of Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church, Lydia, S.C., 1789 – 1989, by
Lennell Andrews, Jr. This history traces the growth of Methodism in western Darlington County from 1789 through its bicentennial year. The “Gully Meeting House and Campground” was Darlington County’s first Methodist society and served as the “mother church” for the Lynches Creek Circuit and the Darlington Circuit. The influence of Wesley Chapel spread far beyond the bounds of Darlington County. The role of other early Methodist churches (Dowling’s Meeting House [Philadelphia], Skinner’s Meeting House [Hebron], Bethel, Cypress, Damascus, Elim, and Ashland) is also recounted. Six appendixes include information on Wesley Chapel’s ministers, the membership throughout the years, and marriages and baptisms on the Darlington Circuit during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Published on “acid free” paper, copyright 1992. 756 pages, 6 appendixes, bibliography, full name index, 75 photographs, map, plat of campground, hard cover.
Price: $20.00 plus $4.00 shipping for first book and $1.50 for each additional book.
Return to Publications